One thing that I have noticed since moving back to the states is that my body image has gotten a lot worse than when I lived in Sweden. I am not sure why, but I feel way more self conscious now than I did when I lived abroad. I was doing a little deep thinking, shocking, I know.. haha, and I think this is due to a variety of factors.
1. Europe and the U.S. are just different.
2. There are so many American advertisements for diets, healthy food, low cal food, etc that they didn’t have in Sweden.
3. Celebrity culture is more apparent in the U.S.
4. Thanks to the media, we have become accustomed to extreme standards of beauty. In Sweden, I just never saw or heard the media talk about beauty/thinness the way they do in the U.S.
5. TV, billboards, magazines, etc.. make it so that we see ‘beautiful people’ all the time, making exceptional good looks seem normal and attainable. In Sweden, there are hardly any billboards. They have normal-sized people on t.v. However, they do have celebrity magazine but not near as many as we have.
6. Most Swedes seem so lighthearted on the subject of health. It is just a natural way of living and not thought excessively about. And this rubbed off on me when I lived there. In the states, it seems that the women are very health conscious or they don’t care at all, there is nothing in between.
7. Europeans eat what they want to eat. They don’t just eat a salad because it’s good for their health, they eat a salad because it tastes good.
Of course, this is just a few of the reasons that I have come up with. I, honestly, have no idea why my body image has become lower since I moved back from Sweden. I felt like I was much more confident with myself in Sweden, and I did not compare myself to other people around me like I have found myself doing recently. Maybe because I have nothing to do yet and we don’t know any one in Charlotte so I have more time for ‘deep thinking?’ I am not sure…. Such an odd and touching subject so onto more fun things!
I have been craving some major comfort foods today. All I have been wanting are warm, filling meals. I think this is mostly due to the fact that we had a fabulous 80 degree weekend in Charlotte and today it has been cloudy and chilly. For breakfast this morning, I couldn’t break my oat habit since it was cold outside so oatmeal it was, again. I enjoy muesli in the summer but I haven’t seen any that sound appealing in the grocery stores yet! I will keep looking! Just my normal, satisfying, reliable oatmeal.
1/2 cup oats, 1 tsp brown sugar, cinnamon, 1/2 banana, some soy milk and a small spoonful of barney butter. Delish and kept me going for 5 hours.
After breakfast, I headed out to the laundry mat, fun stuff.. not really, so I won’t bore you guys with any details. After 4 loads of laundry, I headed out to do a much needed grocery shop. We were out of all of the essentials but I forgot to take a photo of my groceries, oops! When I got back from the grocery store, I was absolutely starving! So, I threw a quick salad of romaine, spinach and tomatoes to munch on while I decided what I wanted for lunch.
All I kept going back to was warm, comfort foods! Haha, for some weird reason.. All I wanted for lunch was mashed potatoes. I went with the craving and boiled 1/4 of a sweet potato, then added half of an apple. After they were soft, I made some faux mashed potatoes by mashing the 1/4 of a sweet potato with a fork. I decided to be a little crazy today and try out a new wrap with the faux mashed potatoes! I used my usual Flat Out, then added a thin layer of pumpkin butter, the faux mashed sweet potatoes, and to top it all off… half of the apple. I sprinkled some cinnamon on top and voila! It turned out amazing and soothed my comfort foods craving for the day. *The photo didn’t turn out to great but I assure you that it was a tasty wrap!!* Haha.. looking back on this post, my breakfast and lunch look oddly orange!
After lunch, I felt the need to run! This has never happened to me before. It was just like the sudden want to go hit the pavement came over me. So, I put on my running shoes and just ran around some neighborhood by our apartment complex for about 30 minutes. After my run, I still wanted to keep moving so I went to the gym for a short strength training session and I read the new Self magazine on the elliptical. I just got back from my amazing sweat session and I am definitely contemplating my afternoon snack… I stocked up on my Mighty Maple (I was out for over a week!! How did I live without it? lol) today so I am definitely thinking a banana w/some peanut butter! 🙂
Are there certain triggers that make you question your body image?